Monday, May 09, 2005

Teacher you went straight on!


The robin sang and sang and sang Posted by Hello

'The robin sang and sang and sang,
but teacher you went straight on.
The last bell sounded the end of the day,
but teacher you went straight on.
The geranium on the window sill just died,
but teacher you just went right on.
'

Elwyn Richardson ( NZ pioneer creative teacher) used to say that teachers in the 1950s stuck to their timetables so much that they would ignore an aeroplane crashing in the playground. Now, it seems, they would be to exhausted from delivering and assessing all the various curriculums to notice? I hope not.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

All schools ought to have a copy of Elwyn Richardson's book 'In The Early World'.It has been reprinted recently by the NZCER. Inspirational.

Did you know Elwyn has just been given an honorary degree by Massey University, Albany? Bit late but an important recognition for his work.

Bruce Hammonds said...

Yes I am aware of the honour . Well deserved even if, as you say, a bit late. I rang him to congratulate him.
I will put up a 'blog' about Elwyn's book later today, and where you can still get it.

Every school should have a copy of it - not a strand or objective in sight. Just student creativity.

I wonder if many teachers still know of the book - or the philosophy behind it?

Anonymous said...

Good to be reminded about Albert Cullum's book. His verses seem to describe what 'education' is like when children don't have any control or 'voice' in the process.

For example...

'Teacher, give me back my 'I'-!
You promised, teacher,
you promised if I was good you'd give it back.
You have so many 'I's' in the top drawer of your desk.
You wouldn't miss mine.'

carlettasmother said...

'Teacher, give me back my 'I'-!
You promised, teacher,
you promised if I was good you'd give it back.
You have so many 'I's' in the top drawer of your desk.
You wouldn't miss mine.'

What does my "I" - ! mean

Bruce Hammonds said...

Will find the book and check for you